Average Cost of Car Insurance by State & Provider (2022)
- The nation’s average rate for full coverage auto insurance is $1,730 per year.
- maine, ohio, and vermont have, on average, the cheapest full coverage auto insurance.
- michigan, connecticut and florida have the most expensive full coverage auto insurance on average.
- How To Buy Tesla Stock (TSLA) – Forbes Advisor
- How to Talk to Insurance Claims Adjusters After an Accident | AllLaw
- 370Z Insurance Cost: Everything You Need to Know
- GoPro Stock: Transforming The Business For Future (NASDAQ:GPRO) | Seeking Alpha
- Best Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes in Delaware (2022) – ValuePenguin
- credit score: People with poor credit scores pay more for car insurance in most states.
- deductible amount: The higher your auto insurance deductible, the lower your rates.
- Coverage limits: Auto insurance premiums for comprehensive coverage are much higher than for state minimum coverage.
- Driving history: Drivers often pay much higher prices if they have DUIs or speeding tickets or have been at-fault accidents.
- Package Options: Those who combine auto insurance with coverages like renters or homeowners insurance may find cheaper rates.
- age, gender, and marital status: Young, single, male drivers typically pay higher rates than older, married, female drivers.
- Location: Drivers typically receive higher insurance quotes if they live in states with extensive coverage requirements or areas with high numbers of thefts, accidents, and uninsured drivers.
- vehicle make, model and age: Older models may have more affordable replacement parts, but lack newer safety features. vehicles with poor safety ratings tend to have expensive coverage policies. While the Toyota Corolla and Ram 1500 are typically expensive to cover, the Honda Cr-V and Ford Escape are two of the models with the cheapest auto insurance rates.
- collision insurance
- all risk insurance
- uninsured motorist coverage
- personal injury protection insurance (pip) or medical payments coverage (medpay)
affiliate disclosure: automoblog and its partners may receive compensation when you purchase the products below.
The average cost of auto insurance varies widely by state and provider, so drivers can have a hard time determining if their rates are fair. Our team analyzed the standard costs for auto coverage on several factors, and we’ll reveal our findings below.
Reading: How much does auto insurance usually cost
The easiest way to find the average cost of auto insurance for your vehicle is to compare auto insurance quotes from providers. That way, you’ll be able to see exactly how much each company plans to charge for the best auto insurance protection.
what is the average cost of auto insurance across the country?
Americans pay an average of $1,730 per year for full coverage auto insurance, which works out to just over $144 per month. If this rate seems a bit high, know that drivers can take advantage of auto insurance discounts to lower their rates.
factors that affect the average cost of car insurance
Auto insurance premiums vary significantly based on the following factors:
Auto insurance that offers broader protection than the state minimums for bodily injury liability and property damage liability coverage is more expensive. however, drivers are strongly encouraged to add the following types of coverage to reduce costs and stress after an accident:
Because auto insurance companies calculate rates based on many variables, it’s difficult to determine your potential costs without comparing quotes from providers. Using online quote calculators can help you figure out how much you might be able to spend.
average cost of car insurance by state
Because each state sets its own minimum coverage requirements, where you live greatly influences how much you’ll spend on auto insurance coverage.
Below, you’ll find the average cost of auto insurance for each state in the nation. Keep in mind that these numbers are for a 35-year-old driver with a clean driving record and good credit looking for full coverage auto insurance.
states with the lowest average cost of auto insurance
The following states tend to have the lowest average cost of full coverage auto insurance in the country:
- maine: $964 per year
- ohio: $1,027 per year
- vermont: $1056 per year
- idaho: $1,069 per year
- virginia: $1,142 per year
- iowa: $1,181 per year
- wisconsin: $1,219 per year
- tennessee: $1,281 per year
- indiana: $1,332 per year
- oregon: $1,334 per year
- michigan: $3,785 per year
- connecticut: $2,999 per year
- florida: $2,947 per year
- new york: $2,783 per year
- Louisiana: $2,783 per year
- massachusetts: $2,647 per year
- delaware: $2,169 per year
- nevada: $2149 per year
- california: $2089 per year
- new jersey: $2037 per year
states with the highest average cost of auto insurance
The following states often have the highest average cost of full coverage auto insurance in the us. uu.:
average cost of car insurance by provider
Car insurance companies also don’t have the same premiums for full coverage policies. Drivers looking for cheap auto insurance should consider the following providers, which have annual rates below the national average of $1,730 per year:
Typically the cheapest auto insurance providers available nationwide are usaa, geico, state farm and progressive . Drivers who live in regions with erie insurance and car owners insurance may also want to consider car insurance quotes from them.
cheapest car insurance provider by state
See also : How Long Does Life Insurance Take To Pay Out? (2022)
While the providers above typically offer a low average cost of auto insurance, you’ll need to look at your state to determine the best options. Below, you’ll find the cheapest auto insurance providers for each state and their average rates.
remember that usaa is only available to military, veterans and their families. Those who don’t qualify for carrier coverage will likely find competitive rates from other leading auto insurance companies, such as State Farm, Geico, and Progressive.
average cost of car insurance by driver profile
Your auto insurance rates will vary considerably based on your driving record and credit score. we’ll cover average rates for different types of drivers to give you a better idea of what your costs might be.
average cost of car insurance for good drivers
With most popular providers, the average cost of car insurance for good drivers is well below the national average of $1,730 per year. The one exception is Allstate, which offers estimated rates of $2,429 per year for full coverage auto insurance.
average cost of car insurance for young drivers
Teen drivers and other young motorists typically spend more than the national average on full coverage auto insurance. however, our US rate estimates uu. and geico are still less than $1730 per year.
average cost of car insurance for drivers with a recent accident
Typically, a recent accident increases a driver’s average cost of auto insurance. uu. and state farm offer lower estimates than the national average rate of $1,730 per year.
average cost of car insurance for drivers with a recent dui
It is very difficult to find an affordable average cost of car insurance if you have a DUI on your recent driving record. None of the providers in our research offer rate estimates below the national average, although state farm, erie, and progressive have competitive options.
average cost of car insurance for drivers with bad credit
Having a poor credit score limits the availability of low auto insurance prices, with the average cost of auto insurance for bad credit sitting well above $1,730 per year. however, usaa and geico still offer rates that are not much above the national average.
companies with a relatively low average cost of car insurance
The easiest way to find the average price of car coverage is to compare car insurance quotes online. Doing so allows you to consider each provider’s offerings to determine which policies best suit your needs.
many drivers find competitive rates on usaa, state farm and geico. All three auto insurance providers are available nationwide and offer quality auto insurance policies at relatively affordable rates.
usaa: best for military families
average cost of car insurance: $1,054 per year
best business bureau rating (bbb): a+
I am the best financial strength rating: a++
See also : What Is A Health Insurance Deductible? – Forbes Advisor
Go to usaa if you’re in the military, a veteran, or a family member of a service member. The company offers the lowest average cost of car insurance among all providers and is known for its excellent service. however, motorists with duis may be better served by a different company, as usaa only ranks in the cost average with those drivers.
To learn more about the company, read our usa auto insurance review. uu.
state farm: best for student drivers
average cost of car insurance: $1,481 per year
bbb rating: a
I am the best financial strength rating: a++
Drivers often turn to State Farm for relatively affordable auto insurance policies that come with many discount opportunities. Our research shows that high-risk drivers with DUIs and recent accidents can find reasonable state farm rates. the company’s local presence also makes it easy to build strong relationships with agents.
See our state farm auto insurance review for more details.
geico: best overall
average cost of car insurance: $1,308 per year
bbb rating: a+
I am the best financial strength rating: a++
geico is known for its affordable rates and impressive range of coverage. The company’s excellent financial strength rating means you won’t have a problem covering your claim if you’re in an accident. However, Geico does not have the strongest claims process, as evidenced by its near-average score on J.D. energy 2021 usa uu. auto claims satisfaction study.
read our full geico auto insurance review to learn more.
average cost of car insurance: frequently asked questions
Our expert review team is happy to provide accurate and unbiased information. We identified the following rating categories based on consumer survey data and conducted extensive research to formulate rankings of the best auto insurance providers.
- affordability: A variety of factors influence cost, so it can be difficult to compare quotes between providers. our team considers auto insurance rate estimates generated by quadrant information services and discount opportunities when awarding this score.
- Coverage: Because each consumer has unique needs, it is essential that an auto insurance company offer a variety of coverage options. We take into account the types of insurance available, the maximum limits of coverage and the complementary policies.
- Industry Position: Our team considers top business bureau ratings (bbb), financial strength, and years in business when awarding this score.
- availability: Auto insurers with higher state availability and few eligibility requirements are more likely to meet consumers’ needs.
- customer service: Reputable auto insurance providers operate with a degree of attention to consumers. We consider complaints filed with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), J.D. energy claim service scores and customer feedback.
- Online experience: Insurers with user-friendly websites and highly rated mobile apps scored the best in this category.