the year 1921 from two different silver dollars
1921 was a unique year for the US silver dollar program. The Mint saw the return of the Morgan Silver Dollar, as well as the start of production for the Peace Silver Dollar. During this time in history, it was very uncommon for the Mint to produce two different types of designs for the same denomination coin in one year.
- Ethereum security and scam prevention | ethereum.org
- Tesla And Ethereum Billionaires Spark Shock 300 Billion Crypto Price Crash As Bitcoin And Dogecoin Suddenly Plummet
- How to Send/ Transfer Crypto from Coinbase to Trust Wallet
- The Ethereum Merge is Coming: Heres what you need to know | by Coinbase | Aug, 2022 | The Coinbase Blog
- What is Ethereum? A beginner&039s guide – Luno
for most of the year, the mint produced the morgan silver dollar, while the peace dollar design was finalized. After Anthony De Francisci’s design for the Peace Dollar was approved, the Mint went to work and quickly implemented the design for production.
Reading: How much is a 1921 dollar coin worth
In the closing months of 1921, the Morgan Silver Dollar was finally retired and the Francisci Peace Dollar was finally put into production. This change marked the end of the Morgan dollar as the official design of the United States silver dollar, which was used from 1878 to 1904 and again in 1921.
Like the Morgan dollar, the Peace dollar would continue to be minted until 1928, when it was discontinued due to lack of silver. it would later be reintroduced in 1934 and 1935 before being officially discontinued.
About the 1921 Morgan Silver Dollar
After being on a hiatus for 16 years, George T. Morgan’s silver dollar had finally begun minting again in 1921. The reason for the 16-year gap between minting was due to the lack of silver blanks necessary to create the Morgan Dollar. The re-minting of the Morgan Dollar was short-lived and only lasted for about three-fourths of a year before being officially discontinued.
During this short minting period, a large number of Morgan dollars were minted, with approximately 44,690,000 minted. This makes 1921 the year the largest number of Morgan dollars were minted, far surpassing the next closest mintage of 21 million in 1889.
Like all other Morgan Dollars minted, the 1921 features a composition of 90% silver and 10% copper. The coin weighs 26.73 grams and has a diameter of 38.1mm or 1.5 inches. Reeding, or small bumps on the edge of the coin, is present and denticles can be found on both the obverse and reverse.
About the 1921 Peace Silver Dollar
Because of the Peace Dollar’s minting at the end of 1921, not many examples were produced. Only 1,006,000 coins were produced and distributed to the public. This low mintage makes the 1921 Peace Dollar much rarer than the 1921 Morgan Dollar.
Despite low mintage, the 1921 Peace Dollar was met with positive reviews from the public. this growing consumer demand and wide acceptance by the public led the mint to begin producing large quantities in the following years.
The Peace Dollar shares the same 90% silver, 10% copper composition as the Morgan Dollar. Even the weight and diameter were kept the same so the mint could use the same silver blanks that were used to produce the Morgan Silver Dollar. Reeding is present on the edges, but no denticles can be found on the obverse or reverse.
image source flickr user frankieleon
value of 1921 silver dollars
Although produced in the same year, the 1921 Morgan and Peace dollars have very different values. this price difference comes mainly from the difference in the mintage numbers of the two coins.
Since a large number of Morgan dollars were minted in 1921, prices tend to be much lower than other dates in the series. An average grade 1921 Morgan silver dollar tends to command a slight premium to the silver content of the coin, valued at around $22. this value changes if the coin is not in circulation, increasing to around $35. if rated ms-63, the 1921 morgan dollar is estimated to be worth $55.
The 1921 Peace Dollar is almost the exact opposite of the 1921 Morgan Dollar when it comes to mintage numbers and value. Because of its very low mintage, the 1921 Peace Dollar is much rarer and in turn much more valuable than the 1921 Morgan Dollar.
Even 1921 peace dollars that are in good condition are worth $70 and those in very good condition are worth $105. uncirculated examples sell for about $230 and ms-63 graded examples are valued at $440.
When it comes to coins and the prices that collectors assign to them, prices typically relate to the rarity of the coin compared to other dates in the series. This can be clearly seen with the 1921 Morgan and Peace dollars, where the more common Morgan dollar is priced much lower than the much rarer Peace dollar.
Adding the 1921 Morgan or Peace Silver Dollar to any coin collection is something you can treasure for years to come. it has a history and a design that anyone can appreciate. If you don’t already have a silver dollar in your collection, these should be a must. The 1921 Silver Dollar is perfect for all collectors as it is not out of reach for anyone.
what happened when the 1921 silver dollar was made?
Just like today, the world was full of life and invention when the 1921 Morgan and Peace dollars were minted. Many things happened in 1921 that still impact us today.
some of the highlights of 1921:
- President Warren G. harding, a republican from ohio, served as the 29th president of the united states from 1921 to 1923.
- ireland became a free state in this year with southern ireland and northern ireland.
- In 1921, the United States Congress approves the burial of an unidentified World War I soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. the tomb bears the well-known inscription that reads “here rests in honorable glory an american soldier known only to god.” make believe by nora bayes, margie by eddie cantor and aren’t we having fun? van & schneck.
- for baseball falls, it was a big moment with new york yankee pitcher babe ruth hitting her 138th home run during june. he broke his career home run record that had stood for 23 years.
- Some of the popular movies of 1921 were the four horsemen of the apocalypse, the boy, the three musketeers and the sheikh.
other silver dollars:
- 1884 Morgan Silver Dollar
- 1900 Morgan Silver Dollar
- 1927 Peace Silver Dollar