Find out what steps you need to take to become an approved contractor for insurance work.
When you think of the relationship between trade professionals and insurance providers, you likely envision contractors’ insurance and the coverage they need for their business. however, there are actually plenty of opportunities for this exchange of services to be reversed, with contractors providing work for insurance companies and their clients.
- Best Homeowners Insurance in Florida (2022) – QuoteWizard
- Insurance Commissioner Lara announces statewide appointments to advance consumer protection mission
- What is the Average Cost of Medicare Supplement Plans? – MedicareFAQ
- What Does an Unemployment Claim Cost an Employer? | UIS
- How Much is Car Insurance: Average Cost per Province | Surex
When an insurance customer files a claim that requires repairs or construction, policy providers need contractors to complete these services. This can be a great source of income for general contractors who specialize in remodeling and carpentry.
Reading: How to get on insurance vendor list
But how do insurance contractors get jobs? To be eligible for this type of offer, you must take certain steps before insurance companies can approve your business to work these jobs.
Below, the Apollo team shares the actions trade professionals need to take to become a preferred vendor.
related: how to start a construction business in canada
do you need contractors insurance?
three steps to becoming an approved insurance contractor
Want to know what you need to do to become a Preferred Trade Supplier? Below are the three main steps you need to take to become an approved insurance contractor and win bids from your local providers.
step 1: build your professional background and portfolio
If you want to work with insurance companies, they need to know that you are an experienced contractor with a professional background. most providers will expect you to have a bachelor’s degree or diploma in civil engineering or a similar area of study, along with at least five years of experience in the field.
Recent graduates should focus on finding a variety of jobs that provide specific exposure to remodeling and construction. always strive to provide high-quality services and ask clients who are particularly satisfied with your work to provide you with written testimonials.
For contractors who have been in the business for a while with no educational background in the industry, it may be worth investing your time to earn a diploma. without it, it is very unlikely that you will be eligible for offers through insurance providers.
Step 2: Get the right tools to work with insurance companies
To become an approved provider, you will need to meet certain requirements. this means having the appropriate credentials in addition to the professional experience mentioned above.
Below is a high-level overview of what you’ll need to become a Preferred Contractor:
- Degree or Diploma – As mentioned in step 1, if you do not already have a degree or diploma, you will need to obtain one before you can become an approved insurance contractor. companies.
- contractors insurance: To obtain work through policy providers, you will need to be insured. Find out how to get custom contractors insurance, including commercial general liability coverage, for your business.
- contractor’s license: If you don’t already have one, now is the time to get a license for your operation. You’ll need to complete the necessary paperwork and, in most cases, pass an exam.
- social security number
- date of birth
- commercial name
- commercial number
- type of business
- business address
- date of incorporation
- certification number
- employee information
step 3: define your company details
Once you have obtained all the necessary certificates and licenses, you will need to register your business with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). this is a relatively easy step and can be completed entirely online.
When registering your business, you will need your:
related: how to become a general contractor
partnership with local insurance companies
After you’ve completed the steps above, you’re ready to contact insurance providers in your area. take your time and find a company that fits your business.
As an independent contractor, it’s up to you to find work for your company. Offering your services as an approved business professional for insurance providers is a great way to increase your income streams.
apollo has you covered
Get the protection you need in minutes with apollo custom contractors insurance.