Basic information about Form 1095-a
- If you or someone in your household signed up for a health plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you’ll get Form 1095-a, Statement from the Health Insurance Marketplace. you will get this form from the marketplace, not the irs.
- will use the information from form 1095-a to calculate the amount of your premium tax credit. You will also use this form to reconcile advance premium tax credit payments made on your behalf with the premium tax credit you are claiming on your tax return. To do this, you’ll use Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, which you file with your tax return.
- form 1095-a will tell you the dates of coverage, the total amount of your monthly insurance plan premiums, the second lowest cost silver plan premium you can use to determine the amount of your tax credit for the premium and advance payment amounts of the premium tax credit.
- If you purchased coverage through the federally-facilitated Marketplace and created a healthcare.gov account, you can get a copy of the Form 1095-a, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement online from your account.
- If you purchased coverage through a state Marketplace, you may be able to get an electronic copy of Form 1095-a from your state Marketplace account. visit your market’s website to learn the steps you need to take to get a copy of your 1095-a online.
- If you haven’t received your 1095-a or if you received an incorrect 1095-a, you should contact the marketplace from which you received coverage.
- If you receive a corrected or voided 1095-a form, you may need to amend your return. For more information on what to do with a corrected or voided 1095-a form, see Corrected, Incorrect, or Voided 1095-a Forms. this information can help you assess whether you should file an amended tax return.
- How to Choose the Best Dental Insurance Plan | Delta Dental
- How much does ADHD medication cost in 2022?
- 8 Ways to Get Healthcare When You Dont Have Insurance | Cornerstone Family Healthcare
- How The Insurance Adjuster Handles Your Personal Injury Claim | AllLaw
- What’s the Best Travel Insurance for Pre-Existing Medical Conditions? | Allianz Global Assistance
- It looks like you need to reconcile but you didn’t include the 8962.
- You submitted form 8962 but it is incomplete.
- Based on the income you reported, it appears you are not eligible for the credit.
- The income or other entries on your Form 8962 are inconsistent with the information on your tax return.
- The premium you entered on your 8962 form appears to be an annual amount, rather than monthly.
- There are questions about entries on your 8962 form that can be clarified by reviewing your 1095-a.
- We need to review your Form 1095-a to verify your Marketplace coverage.
- form 1095-b, health coverage
- form 1095-c, offer and coverage of employer-provided health insurance
- 1095-a forms corrected, incorrect or voided
- instructions for form 1095-apdf
- premium tax credit
- Affordable Care Act: What to Expect When Filing Your Taxes
- gather documentation of your health coverage
In addition to receiving a 1095-a form, you may receive one or more health coverage information forms (1095-b form and 1095-c form) that have significant differences from the 1095-a form. To learn more about the similarities and differences, see our Form 1095 Questions and Answers.
questions related to form 1095-as
Q: What should I do if I don’t receive a 1095-a form?
If you purchased coverage through the Marketplace and haven’t received your Form 1095-a, you should contact the Marketplace from which you received the coverage. You must wait to receive your Form 1095-A before filing your taxes. you can, and should, file as soon as you have all the necessary documentation. People who did not purchase coverage through the Marketplace, including those with Medicaid or Chip coverage, will not receive a Form 1095-A.
Q: What should I do if my 1095-a form is incorrect and I have not received a corrected form?
If you think your Form 1095-a is incorrect, you should contact the state or federal Marketplace from which you received coverage. the marketplace may need to send you a corrected 1095-a form.
p. What should I do if I receive a corrected or voided 1095-a form?
If you receive a corrected or voided 1095-a form, you may need to amend your return. For more information on what to do with a corrected or voided 1095-a form, see Corrected, Incorrect, or Voided 1095-a Forms. this information can help you assess whether you should file an amended tax return.
p. what is the second lowest cost silver plan shown on my 1095-a?
also known as slcsp, this is reported on form 1095-a in part iii, column b. if you are eligible to claim the premium tax credit, the premium for an slcsp that applies to some or all of your family members enrolled in coverage is a factor in determining the monthly amount of your premium tax credit.
if you had certain changes in your family or if you moved and did not notify the marketplace of these changes, the premium for the applicable slcsp reported on your form 1095-a, part iii, column b, may not be accurate for one or more months. The applicable SLCSP premium on your Form 1095-A may also be incorrect if you did not request advance payments of the premium tax credit. If one of these situations applies to you, you must determine the correct premium for the applicable SLCSP for the affected months. See Publication 974, Premium Tax Credit (PTC), for information on determining the correct premium for the applicable SLCSP or, if you enrolled through the Federal Marketplace, visit the Health Coverage Tax Tool.
Q: Why did I receive more than one 1095-a?
You may receive more than one Form 1095-a if not everyone in your household was enrolled in the same health plan, updated your family information during the year, changed plans during the year, or had family members. family registered in different states.
Q: What do I do if I received multiple 1095-a forms? how do multiple forms affect my return?
If you received more than one Form 1095-a, from the same Marketplace, that reports coverage for different months, you will enter the corresponding month’s information on Form 8962. If you received more than one Form 1095-a that reports coverage for the same month, see the Form 8962pdf instructions for more information.
p. I filed my return claiming the premium tax credit. why did i get a letter from the irs asking for more information and a copy of my 1095-a?
You don’t have to send your 1095-a form to the irs with your tax return when you file and claim the premium tax credit. however, using the information from your Form 1095-A, you must complete and submit Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit. The IRS checks the information on your Form 8962 by comparing it to information received from the Marketplace and to other information you entered on your tax return.
In some situations, before we can send your refund, the IRS may send you a letter, called a 12c letter, asking you to clarify or verify the information you entered on your tax return. The letter may request a copy of your Form 1095-a.
Some common examples of problems or questions that may arise are:
You must follow the instructions in the correspondence you receive to help the IRS verify the information entered on the tax return and issue the appropriate refund. For more information about the 12c letter, see Understanding Your 12c Letter.
p. Will I receive health care tax forms to help me complete my tax return?
Earlier in the year, you may get one or more forms that tell you about the health care coverage you had or was offered during the previous year. Like the W-2 and 1099 forms, which include information about the income you received, these health care forms provide information you may need when you file your individual income tax return. Like Forms W-2 and 1099, these forms will be provided to the IRS by the entity providing the form to you.
the forms are:
The irs has published a set of questions and answers about forms 1095-a, 1095-b and 1095-c. the questions and answers explain who should expect to receive the forms, how they can be used, and how to submit them with or without the forms.
q: where can i find more help?
While the Marketplace can help you with certain issues related to Form 1095-a, you may have additional questions, particularly about how the form affects your taxes. there are additional resources to help you on the following pages:
You should also consider filing your return electronically. Using tax preparation software is the best and easiest way to file a complete and accurate tax return as it guides individuals and tax preparers through the process and does all the calculations. There are a variety of electronic filing options, including free filing for qualifying taxpayers, free volunteer assistance, commercial software, and professional assistance.